Total Pageviews

Friday, February 16, 2018

Latest Stage On New Garden Box

I decided that instead of waiting for spring to arrive and the snow to melt revealing the hardware cloth that used to be part of the deteriorating garden boxes that I would go to Big R in Alamosa and buy some new hardware cloth. The new garden box that replaces the two that rotted away now has new 1/2" hardware cloth.

The young girl that was the clerk thought I should go to a place where they sold fabric as she had never heard of hardware cloth. Fortunately another employee did and showed me where it was kept. I bought enough to do the sides and used the old hardware cloth for the bottom. This box will replace two old boxes so I still have to make two hinged tops so access can be from both ends.

Mostly what we grow now in the garden boxes are lettuce and spinach so we will plant one at each end. I plant carrots and herbs in my earth boxes which we keep on the deck with hardware cloth over the boxes to keep the squirrels and chipmunks out of them. Rodents can do a lot of damage to a garden in a short amount of time.

I will make and install the two lids as soon as the snow melts off them. Photo's to follow. Then I have a unique idea for the placement of the box that will fit the theme of our house plus providing good sunlight and access. Hopefully it will be in an area that the rodents can't figure out how to get into. Last year a chipmunk got into a box and we have no clue how they did it. No opening and no opportunity to get in but still one did and couldn't find their way out again. 

More to follow on the construction of a garden box.

No comments: